Friday 27 February 2015

a simple act of kindness♡






As part of my Duke of Edinburgh award I am volunteering for 26 weeks with one of my best friends, Lucy, at a local nursing home. Every friday in the evenings we go and chat to the residents and assist the staff. It is such a rewarding experience to go and just be a listening ear to some of their life stories and it never fails to make me smile and put me in a good mood. Sometimes the residents don't get family visits regularly so for us to sit with them for an hour each week can not only make us smile but also them! Just being there and chatting to them really lifts their mood and I always feel so happy after visiting. I have also decided that even after the 26 weeks I want to still continue volunteering and offering an hour a week. It's a really fun experience which I will continue to enjoy!


'The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.'



(This post is part of a little blogger series I'm taking part in called the "secret blogger project 2015" run by teen bloggers Emily , Rebekka and Charlotte. About 30 of us will be writing twice a week on selected little lifestyle topics and you can also go onto the twitter and Instagram hash tag "#secretbp2015" to have a little chat and view everyone's posts. If you would like to join or know more (we'd love to have you!)  Instagram dm @theperks0fbeingemily or if you don't have Instagram, send a quick email to  rebekkarosebeautyxo@gmail.com!)



Emily x





8 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do, I'm sure the people in the home really appreciate your visits! I do volunteer work too but for children, it's so rewarding!

    Becca x

    beccaemilyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I know! Just taking an hour out of your day can be so rewarding!

      Delete
  2. This is such a kind thing for you to do, I can't imagine how much it means for the elderly people. Things like this are so easy to do and so hugely appreciated.

    Ooh La Luce | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me when in school choir we had to go and sing old songs to the people in the care home and they really liked it and it was so rewarding, I'm sure you have the same feeling too :)
    I just done this post too as a part of the blogger project,
    Dalal xox, monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww elderly people are so lovely :') I will check it out now xx

    ReplyDelete