Tuesday 20 January 2015

running a blog♡

I get a lot of questions about blogging. I'm not an expert and my blog isn't a perfect example of how to run a good blog but I have been blogging for a year now so I thought I would share some of my experiences and tips with you and answer some of your questions!



Starting the blog♡
The first step to running a blog is to make your blog!
Choose your blog programme you want to use. I would highly recommend Blogger (what your viewing this on now) because it requires no money. Just sign up and you have your blog.



Designing the blog♡
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to designing anything on the Internet. I know exactly what I would like but I have no idea where to start or how to go about doing it. Designing your blog is probably the hardest thing to do.
When I first started my blog I used a basic template and changed the text, colours etc. Pretty straightforward.
You don't need to spend tons of money on a blog design - I made do with what I could design but it never looked professional or nice.

 My blog design was designed by Edie who does her own blog design. If you have no idea where to start or what to do then I would recommend looking into Edie's company. I paid £6 for my blog design.

Edie's company



What do I blog about♡
Write about what you are interested in. Some people choose travel blogs, cookery blogs, fashion blogs etc. I don't particularly know my genre - I just blog what I like!  My first blog post I did a little introductory one which is deleted.. AAAH I wish I had kept it. Then I did a lush haul, then a Soap and Glory collection, then a Christmas Yankee Candle collection, then a Baby Lips review and then I did a January favourites.



The "tools"♡
You do not need the fanciest equipment to start a blog. There are so many examples of amazing blogs which are created on phones or iPads. You don't need high tech equipment. Our old family computer was so slow that when you turned it on you could go and get yourself a cup of tea and three biscuits before it had even got to the log on page. It was painfully slow so Dad decided to treat the family in Christmas 2013 with a Mac computer so automatically it was better quality and faster. But I can't stress enough how you don't always need a computer. People can design their blog on iPad's - trust me I have witnessed this!

For editing 'Picmonkey' is a really good way to edit photos.



The photographs♡

If a blog has nice photographs I am instantly drawn to reading it. I take my photos currently on the Fugifilm FinePix S1 bridge camera. I have never been so happy with my blog photos! Everyone prefers the quality.  Personally, I think camera quality is an important factor but iPhone cameras are good too! I have used iPhone cameras for a year! You don't necessarily need a big expensive camera to do the photographs. Your phone will do the trick. Although, if you want to go the extra mile I really recommend the camera I have.


Photography tips♡
For your photographs I recommend taking your photographs as close as you can to natural light. In my photographs I have started to include fake flowers for example this heart rose garland (pictured below) to add more detail. I also recommend having a white background to your photos weather that be a duvet cover, pillow or a white windowsill. Fairylights also add detail to photographs too. 

   


Balancing blogging and school♡
My biggest mistake was setting myself a blogging schedule. Some people work their blog by setting upload days. When I did that I felt under pressure and it became more of a chore to blog. Like I had a deadline. Personally, I blog when I feel like it. In the holidays I blog quite a lot whereas during school I don't blog as much. So, whatever free time you have, work on a post. You can also prepare posts over the weekend that you can upload during the weekday when you don't have a lot of time to take photographs and write a lot after school. This way you can upload a post throughout the weekday.   But don't feel pressured to do blogposts when you have enough schoolwork on your plate - blogging is a hobby. It shouldn't take over your life.




Tips for getting my blog out there♡
Don't just start a blog to expect to get a ton of views and to have a queue of companies willing to work with you. They are perks to the hobby but it takes a long time to getting your blog 'out there.'
My blog is not 'out there' by any means. I put the link to my blog in my Instagram bio so anyone who has come across my account can click on the link. I also have signed up to blogging programmes and companies. All of which are listed on the sidebar which you can click on to find out more. This opens up opportunities you can take part in and they send you emails and get you working with brand.

Also, finding people of a similar age who blog can be a great support system and you can make friends with them. If you look around there are different blogging projects run by individuals such as The Secret Blogger Project ... little plug there - click here for more information! It's never too late to join!




Telling your family and friends about your blog♡
I have been asked this question a lot. Especially, the family question. My parents aren't really 'internet' people so blogging doesn't really mean anything to them. I didn't find it hard at all to say to them I've started a blog because I'm close with my parents. However, I know a few people who haven't told their parents about their blogs. Thats fine too - although, if you know they wouldn't let you set up a blog then its probably best you talk to them about it.

As regards to friends, I think I told my best friends face to face or through text (I can't really remember it was a year ago) and other friends just found out.  I put it in my Instagram bio so a lot of friends could see. But regardless, they are really supportive.


People from school finding out about your blog♡
I know bloggers who are really worried that people will find out about their blogs. For me, it was more difficult to keep my blog anonymous. I have had an Instagram account for years now and have built up followers over that period of time so I result in Instagram in getting my blog 'out there.' Gradually, people from school started finding my IG account which is fine because I knew them and you normally follow people that you know. I found it hard at first to come to terms with the fact that people who I see everyday at school maybe reading.  In a year of blogging I have had one negative comment from someone at school face to face. But it didn't really bother me because if I'm enjoying doing it then its none of their business! I have had some nice comments from people at school too! It's not all negative!


Bloggers block♡
Yes. How I have suffered with this problem. It's hard sometimes to think of fresh, new and exciting ideas all the time. Sometimes you have to result in doing the same old things that other bloggers do. My tip is to take a notebook and pen around with you at all times. Sometimes I have been sat in the car or in a lesson and thought of an idea. You never know when you will get a good idea - its always best to be prepared!





Emily x


                                                                                                                                

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much thats really sweet :')

      Delete
  2. Hey! i've nominated you for the liebster award because your blog is perfect! Check out my recent post for details!
    http://floralbeautxo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award.html
    - xoxo Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing tips, Emily, thank you for the mention! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've nominated you for the Liebster award so check on my blog for the details xxx
    Dalal :) monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    (seems like you've already been nominated but you can look at the questions I set and choose?)

    ReplyDelete